Tip: Press the ESC key to instantly call up a feed containing all the newest SPJ news and updates to our social channels.
For more than 100 years the Society of Professional Journalists has been dedicated to encouraging a climate in which journalism can be practiced more freely and fully, stimulating high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism and perpetuating a free press.
We invite you to join us today!
Since its founding in 1961, the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation has promoted excellence and ethics in journalism. The SDX Foundation is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization that supports the educational programs of the Society of Professional Journalists and serves the professional needs of journalists and students pursuing careers in journalism.
Excellence in Journalism is the national journalism conference of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Radio Television Digital News Association. Join us in September in Nashville for training, networking, workshops and more!
We invite you to join us today!
News and More
Click to Expand Instantly
Employment Opportunity at SPJ: Domain Administrator
Position Available Immediately
The Society of Professional Journalists is seeking a Domain Adminstrator to work at its National Headquarters in Indianapolis. The Domain Administrator will serve as the Society's de facto webmaster and IT guru.
Basic Function: Has overall responsibility for working on a variety of projects primarily involved in Web site design and development, including creation of custom graphics. Responsible for designing the user interface and overall customer experience for the Society’s Web site and applications. This includes overall navigation flow, layout of specific pages, and creation of individual graphic elements.
* Responsible for design maintenance of all Web sites and other electronic publications and applications.
* Deals with preparation of illustrative materials from artists and vendors.
* Ensures that all design elements, templates and finished solutions work within a variety of browser types and screen settings along with the constraints set by development and design.
* Works with staff on style and approach for all projects.
* Provides design elements, comps, templates, and finished solutions.
* Participates in efforts to improve quality of Web sites and other electronic publications as required.
* Monitor software licenses to ensure compliance.
* Insure that all Internet Standards are met and that the Society does not intentionally violate any standards that would place its domain in jeopardy.
* Offer input and suggestions on LAN projects.
* Performs network administrator duties as needed.
* Maintain and administer all legal Internet domains owned by the Society.
* Knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP (or equivalent), MySQL general Web technologies and applications.
* Knowledge of software including: Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, phpMyAdmin.
* Two to three years experience in Web-based graphic design or Web interface design, bachelor’s degree in graphic design, art or related field or equivalent academic and work experience.
* Ability to coordinate with internal and external groups.
* Experience with audio/video demonstration technologies is highly desirable.
* Written communication skills
* Graphics design experience utilizing Quark Express, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
* Proficient in both Macintosh and PC environments.
Competitive nonprofit salary. Excellent benefits including major medical, long and short term disability, life insurance, paid leave and 401(k) with six percent employer match.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé and three professional references via E-mail to
Executive Director Terry Harper. No telephone calls.
Salary requirements must be included in order to be considered.
The search will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.