We invite you to join us today!
We invite you to join us today!
News and More
Click to Expand Instantly
By Taylor Carlier, SPJ Communications Department
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DEADLINE TODAY!
Same conference, lower price, last chance.
Don't forget to register for EIJ14 by today, July 23, in order get a discounted price, which is $100 cheaper during early bird registration.
Bring a friend! If they're not a member, help them sign up to save even more cash! See the EIJ14 pricing page for all of the ticket deadlines and details.
SPJ SCHOLARSHIP & FELLOWSHIP RECIPIENTS
Terry Harper Memorial Scholarship
This year, SPJ awarded four convention scholarships in memory of Terry Harper, SPJ's executive director from 2002 to 2009. The people selected to receive the Harper Memorial Scholarships will attend the Excellence in Journalism 2014 Conference in Nashville, free of charge.
Diversity Leaders Fellowship Program
The goal of the Diversity Leadership Fellows program, ultimately, is to increase the diversity participation of SPJ members within national committees and on the national board of directors. Six people were selected to receive Diversity Leadership Grants to attend the Excellence in Journalism 2014 Conference in Nashville, free of charge.
ETHICS CODE UPDATE (ROUND THREE)
As you've probably heard, the Ethics Committee is working on revising the SPJ Code of Ethics, last updated in 1996. A group of volunteers convened in Columbus, Ohio, on July 12 to come up with the third draft revision of the code, which will now be presented to SPJ's board, membership and to the public, before being voted on at EIJ14. The meeting was live-streamed, live-tweeted and blogged about in three separate posts by Ethics Committee Chairman Kevin Smith, SPJ President David Cuillier and Ethics Committee member Andrew Seaman. See the timeline of the revision process thus far, look over the guidelines to show you what is different from the original version, glance at the marked-through draft, read feedback and give input.
Questions about the process or want to give more input? Comment online or email Ethics Committee Chairman Kevin Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEEKING DONATIONS FOR LDF
With about three weeks left until the donation deadline of Aug. 1, we hope you will consider making a contribution to the Legal Defense Fund Auction. As a mental support system for journalists who find themselves in trouble while defending press freedoms, we want to keep you covered!
No donation is too large or too small. We ask that you send your items in by the deadline to SPJ Headquarters at 3909 N. Meridian St. Indianapolis, IN 46208. When mailing your donation, please don't forget to include this donation form.
SPJ IS HIRING
Want to work for the nation's largest most broad-based journalism organization? We're looking for a full-time Awards Coordinator to join our staff.
Your duties would include:
- Serve as primary contact for SPJ awards programs. These programs include: Mark of Excellence Awards (college student awards), Sigma Delta Chi Awards (professional awards), and other awards that are presented annually.
- Prepare and maintain a yearly schedule for the SPJ awards program.
- Develop timelines for each awards program.
- Ensure that each program remains on schedule, which includes the management of member volunteers.
- Work with IT firm to manage and enhance SPJ's proprietary online awards platform.
- Coordinate all site logistics for three awards banquets including developing scripts for each of these events. (Sigma Delta Chi Awards Banquet, Mark of Excellence Awards program and President's Banquet)
- Maintain a database for each awards programs to include judges, entries, and the tracking of awards submissions
- Secure judges for each contest.
- Manage all facets of an awards program, including logistics, promotions, marketing, communications, and planning. This will involve coordinating vendor and volunteer responsibilities.
- Prepare and monitor program budgets to ensure that each program remains within budget. Review all bills and expenditures.
- Serve as a resource for internal and external awards information inquiries.
- Provide assistance to local chapter leaders seeking information on local contests.
- Assist the programming department with program logistics such as processing registrations and preparing materials
- Oversee the annual Legal Defense Fund Auction (both live and silent) - includes securing items, preparing for sale and coordinating auction events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sound fun? Visit our website for more information about the gig, as well as application details. The deadline is July 28. If you have questions, contact Executive Director Joe Skeel at email@example.com.
CHOOSING YOUR NEW LEADERS
\All members are encouraged to review candidates for national office, who will be elected by the SPJ membership. Click here for bios of people who have declared their candidacy. Interested? You can still run for an office. Contact Nominations Chair Sonny Albarado at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SPJ Board Meeting will be held during EIJ from 9 a.m.-noon on Thursday, Sept. 4. The Opening Business Session will take place after from 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m. The Closing Business Session is Saturday, Sept. 6 from 3 p.m.-5 p.m. You'll receive your electronic ballot via email at the close of the Opening Business Session and can vote until 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 6.
All members have a say in SPJ's national leaders. Make sure you're ready for the electronic vote in September by having a valid email on file with SPJ HQ. Not sure or need to update it? Contact Chapter Coordinator Tara Puckey at email@example.com.
SOCIAL MEDIA/DIGITAL COMMUNITY?
SPJ is considering launching a new community examining social media journalism and digital innovations in journalism, and how these affect the practice of journalism for the future. If you are interested, please email SPJ member Alex Veeneman at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet him at @alex_veeneman.
BOOK YOUR EIJ14 HOTEL ROOM
Reserve your room at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center while rooms are still available. Learn more online about the accommodations if you haven't booked yet. Conference attendees receive discounted rates at the hotel.
Looking for a roommate to share hotel costs? Visit the roommate board to leave a comment and find others who are looking for a roommate.
NEW ON DEMAND TRAINING VIDEOS
Are you a member? Then you're in luck. You have access to all of SPJ's on Demand training videos, including our most recently released series Photography 101. Learn tips for better photos, understand exposure, get the basics on color and white balance, begin to grasp focus control, learn about your camera's metering system, get the low down on how to properly use your flash and know how to better navigate the shutter release modes, all by watching seven, short how-to videos.
MEDIA BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
The Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association will be in collaboration with the 360 Media Alliance for the 2015 America East Media Business & Technology Conference, taking place March 30 to April 1, 2015 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Both conferences will be held at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center, offering attendees the convenience of a joint trade show floor in a single location. 360 Media Alliance will tailor programming specific to circulation and audience growth strategies on Monday, March 30 and Tuesday, March 31. America East will continue to provide streamlined business and technology tracks, focusing on best practices that will benefit CEOs and publishers as well as digital, revenue, audience and technology/operations professionals over the course of the event.
LAST WEEK'S QUIZ
What major news organization lost $52 million last year?
Answer: The Guardian
And the winner is ... Earl Forkner of the Minnesota Pro Chapter. Congratulations!
THIS WEEK'S QUIZ
What news organization reportedly laid off 17 journalists last week?
Submit your answer to Taylor Carlier.