SPJ's chapters are the backbone of the Society. Our local connection enables SPJ members to engage in a high level of journalism right in your own community. No matter where your career takes you from journalism school to the first newsroom and beyond SPJ is there to help you network in your local community; obtain valuable training from industry experts on the local, regional and national level; mentor young and upcoming journalists; and engage with other journalists nationwide on topics that are the foundation of our Democratic society Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. SPJ is empowered to fight for the protection of all journalists through the strong leadership and participation of its nearly 250 local chapters.
SPJ has worked to improve and protect journalism for more than 100 years, and we couldnt have done that without our members help. Want to pitch in and get involved? Check out the numerous ways you can.
– All opportunities
– Ongoing opportunities
– Short time commitments
– Help needed now or soon
Get in touch with the Sunshine chair or chairs in your state and find FOI Centers, quotable sources, resources and more.
SPJ Local Connection: Find SPJ leaders in your area
Quill: Stories About FOI
More FOI Resources
SPJ's chapters are the backbone of the Society. If you're interested in establishing or expanding an SPJ chapter, these guidelines will help get you started on either the professional or campus levels.
The Society of Professional Journalists is a professional organization. It is not honorary in nature, nor is it any longer a fraternity. In function and membership requirements it is concerned only with the field of journalism and the free flow of information to the public at large.
SPJ's professional chapter expansion policy establishes requirements that embrace the highest standards of professionalism. The professional chapter encourages and assists members in carrying out common objectives. It is through the chapter that individual members join in freedom of the press issues, learn of ethical problems and professional standards and enjoy fellowship of common purpose.
Before the Society's board of directors will consider chartering a new professional chapter of the Society, several requirements must be met and several steps taken. If you're interested in establishing or expanding an SPJ chapter, these guidelines will help get you started on either the professional or campus levels.
Upcoming Chapter Events
– March 8, 2019: SPJ Region 4 Conference: Cleveland
– March 9, 2019: SPJ Region 3 Conference: Savannah, Ga.
– March 15, 2019: Deadline: SPJ Chapter Grant Applications
– March 22, 2019: SPJ Region 8 Conference: Stephenville, Texas
– March 29, 2019: SPJ Region 12 Conference: Nashville
– March 30, 2019: SPJ Region 11 Conference: Las Vegas
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 7 Conference: Warrensburg, Mo.
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 10 Conference: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 9 Conference: Albuquerque, N.M.
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 1 Conference: Boston
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 2 Conference: Ocean City, Md.
– April 5, 2019: SPJ Region 5 Conference: Louisville
– April 12, 2019: SPJ Region 6 Conference: Bloomington, Minn.
– July 15, 2019: Deadline: SPJ Chapter Grant Applications
– September 5, 2019: Excellence in Journalism 2019
– October 15, 2019: Deadline: SPJ Chapter Grant Applications