Be more than a member.
Be a leader.
Board members help define the Society. As an organization that values diversity, SPJ is looking for candidates who represent and encompass differing backgrounds based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, disability, appearance, geography, media discipline and professional status. SPJ is branded as the nationís most broad-based journalism association, which is a statement to the professional and personal attributes of our membership.
Positions up for election in 2019 include:
Positions on SPJ's Board of Directors
– President-elect (elected every year)
– Secretary-Treasurer (elected every year)
– Two At-Large Directors (two-year position)
Positions not on SPJ's Board of Directors
– Regional Coordinators for Regions 2, 3, 6, 10, 11 and 12 (each a two-year position)
Please note: Regional Coordinators no longer serve on SPJ's Board of Directors. For more information about this change, consult SPJ's bylaws.
SPJs bylaws require President and President-elect candidates to have served as a member of the board of directors, or the board of the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation, or been the chair of a national committee, a professional chapter or community president who also has been or is a member of a national committee.
These election campaign guidelines should be followed by all candidates for the SPJ national board of directors. Candidates with questions should contact the SPJ Nominations Committee Chairman or the Executive Director.
1. There will be no candidate speeches during regional meetings, other than those given by candidates for regional director.
2. Candidate speeches will be no more than three minutes in duration and will be delivered during the opening business meeting. Speeches will be streamed live and available on the election home page as soon as possible after they are delivered.
3. No signs may be posted in the hotel or convention site.
4. Current national SPJ board members should remain neutral in all elections.
5. No one may use the membership database for political purposes.
The order in which candidates give speeches will be based on the alphabetical order of their last names.
While candidates may not post signs in the convention hotel, fliers, buttons and other literature may be distributed. Contact SPJ Executive Director (or designee) to arrange for display space near the conventions registration area or trade show.
All candidates will receive information about board and committee meetings before the convention. Candidates are encouraged to attend board and committee meetings that are applicable to their prospective position.
Candidates may purchase advertising space in Quill, the convention program or the convention newspaper at rates discounted 50 percent off the current rate card. Contact SPJ Executive Director (or designee) for information.
How to Run
Interested candidates should indicate their intention to run by emailing Nominations Committee Chairman Eddye Gallagher and Program Coordinator Matthew Kent. There is no formal deadline to declare candidacy.
Board Member Responsibilities
Attend two meetings per year (Indianapolis in the spring, Excellence in Journalism conference in September)
Participate in board conference calls throughout the year
Review board materials prior to meetings
Represent the voices of SPJ members
Use your board stipend responsibly
Contribute annually to the SDX Foundation (no required amount)
Help select a regional Mark of Excellence judging coordinator or perform those duties
Be willing to assist with judging as needed
Communicate on a regular basis with chapters (if applicable), headquarters and other board members
Use social media relating to SPJ responsibly