Employment Opportunities with SPJ
The Society of Professional Journalists is the nations largest and most broad-based membership association for journalists. We are dedicated to the preservation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty. To accomplish this, SPJ hires smart, energetic individuals who are determined to improve the Societys offerings and operations while also making a name for themselves.
Reports to: Executive Director
The development officer oversees all fundraising activities, programs, projects and events that support the SPJ Foundation and Society of Professional Journalists. He or she works with the board and staff to develop, execute and evaluate strategic objectives as they relate to fundraising.
– Plans, manages, executes and evaluates the overall development efforts of Society of Professional Journalists and SPJ Foundation; including but not limited to a major gifts program, the annual Day of Giving, year-end appeal and smaller campaigns throughout the year.
– Works with board and staff to create cohesive campaigns and/or strategies that relate to the overarching strategic goals of the organization.
– Oversees planned giving strategies for the organization.
– Maintains sections of website, with support of the webmaster, pertinent to all development efforts.
– Prepares and maintains a yearly schedule and timelines for development efforts.
– Provides staff assistance to volunteer Development Committee and Grants Committee
– Maintains systems for regular and meaningful recognition of grantors, donors and volunteers.
– Maintains a computer-based donor, grantor and prospect tracking system that will enhance development activities.
– Represents SPJ Foundation and SPJ in public and private presentations for cultivation of development purposes as required.
– Accepts other duties as assigned by the Executive Director consistent with the missions and goals of each organization.
– At least three years of experience in a comprehensive development program.
– Demonstrated success in fundraising, specifically related to securing major gifts and yearly giving campaigns.
– Working knowledge of computer-based donor tracking systems (Impexium preferred).
– Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships with a cross section of publics, including but not limited to the donor public, community and professional groups, volunteer boards and committees and staff.
– Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
– Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
– Demonstrated ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team.
– Must be creative, able to generate ideas and be a self-starter.
– Experience in grant writing preferred.
– Passion for protecting the First Amendment, specifically as it relates to a free press.
– Marketing experience, especially that which relates to digital development efforts, is preferred.
– Fundraising certification or continued education.
– SPJ membership and/or history.
NOTE: This position can be fully or partially remote, although there is a preference for someone who can work occasionally from the Indianapolis SPJ office.
How to apply
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé and three professional references to Linda Hall. Please type Development Officer in the subject line.
The Society of Professional Journalists is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. SPJ will apply its diversity mission to hiring with a written policy and approach to:
Actively seek diverse candidates
Craft job descriptions to be inclusive
Include diverse candidates within the interview pool