Employment Opportunities with SPJ
The Society of Professional Journalists is the nations largest and most broad-based membership association for journalists. We are dedicated to the preservation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty. To accomplish this, SPJ hires smart, energetic individuals who are hell-bent on improving the Societys offerings and operations while also making a name for themselves.
The Society of Professional Journalists is the nations largest and most broad-based membership association for journalists. We are dedicated to the preservation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty. The Society and its supporting Foundation has an immediate opening for a full-time bookkeeper to complement our existing staff.
This key financial position is the perfect fit for someone who seeks to grow within the finance world and contribute to a non-profit cause; who works well with others and can stay organized and focused during high-level multitasking.
Qualified Candidates must have at least 3 years experience working in all areas of Quickbooks, as well as proficiency in using the Microsoft Office Suite of programs, primarily Excel. Database experience is a plus.
The successful candidate must have experience in all aspects of bookkeeping/accounting including A/P, A/R, payroll processing, bank reconciliations, general journal entries and account reconciliation skills.
This position will report to the Controller as well as the Executive Director. SPJ offers competitive compensation and benefits packages to qualified candidates.
Primary duties will include:
1. Process all incoming cash receipts.
2. Daily preparation for deposit and data entry of all incoming receipts and credit card transactions.
3. Oversee input and maintenance of financial data (including dues, meetings, giving and purchasing). Ensure that financial data is entered into membership management software and accounting software and is without error.
4. Preparation and mailing of invoices to customers, related daily and monthly financial report processing and balancing.
5. Collection of accounts receivable.
6. Responsible for all outgoing payments to vendors and chapters.
7. Responsible for daily entry of all vendor invoices, weekly analysis of financial activity.
8. Monthly account reconciliation for all checking accounts. Experience with reconciling of investment accounts a plus.
9. Assist with the yearly preparation of 1099(IRS) forms.
10. Assists the Controller with annual audit and other financial reports as assigned.
11. Assists with onboarding new bookkeeping clients, including but not limited to: determining accounting procedures and setting up new companies in Quickbooks.
12. Work with volunteers and paid staff of SPJ (and other journalism associations) to ensure finances are managed in accordance with various adopted processes and procedures.
13. Other duties as assigned.
How to apply
Email your cover letter and resume, professional references and salary requirements to Controller Jake Koenig. Applications without the above requirements will not be accepted.
The Society of Professional Journalists is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. SPJ will apply its diversity mission to hiring with a written policy and approach to:
Actively seek diverse candidates
Craft job descriptions to be inclusive
Include diverse candidates within the interview pool