The work of revising SPJ's Code of Ethics began in earnest following the 2013 Excellence in Journalism conference in August 2013. The 18-member committee wasted little time getting philosophically engaged. How much should we change, if we change it at all? Shorter? Longer? More specific? More general? The revision project is ongoing. We continue to seek input from the journalism community and hope you will take part in the process.
Quill: Stories About Journalism Ethics
Hicks: DeSantis square off with 60 Minutes feeds media distrust
Ethics: Should journalists show the faces of protesters?
Ethics: Answering questions about COVID-19 coverage
The SPJ Code of Ethics at 110
Quill question: When does sponsored content require disclosure?
From Quill and around the web.
– Karen Peterson: A new day, a new set of journalism ethics [The News Tribune]
– Podcast: SPJ's Code of Ethics Adapts to the Digital Age [Press.org]
– Steve Buttry: SPJs ethics code update proposal: just a few tweaks
– A New Code: SPJ Struggles to Define Rules of Online Journalism [ajr.org]
– Considering Ethics for Anyone Who Commits Acts of Journalism [PBS]
– Citizen Code [Quill]