The Society of Professional Journalists is the nations most broad-based journalism organization, dedicated to encouraging the free practice of journalism and stimulating high standards of ethical behavior.
Journalists are the specific targets of the Russian forces invading Ukraine. Twenty-two journalists have been kidnapped; most are still being held. This is not limited to Ukrainians alone. U.S. journalists covering the war are the targets of Russian hackers, including those based in the United States.
That is why the SPJ Foundation is creating the Ukraine Journalists Fund, a tax-exempt fund with 100% of the money going to helping local Ukrainian journalists continue to do their jobs. Learn more here.
– SPJ Sports Event: Phil Murphy, ESPN SportsCenter Anchor
– Freelance Community event: How to find (and win) fellowships and grants as a freelancer
– Lessons Learned: Top Tips as Journalism Schools Embark on the Accreditation Journey
– SPJ Sports Event: Thomas Rongen, Soccer Broadcaster
– To Be or Not To Be Accredited: How ACEJMC Accreditation Can Help (or Hurt) Your Journalism Program
SPJ has partnered with experienced Black and LGBT journalists and educators, including the Trans Journalists Association. Theyll offer concrete advice for your specific situation.
Even if you choose not to follow that advice, youll hang up with an enlightened grasp of the issues currently roiling the news media. And whatever happens on your call, its all off the record.