Coming soon to a mosque near you: Muslimedia.
SPJ will visit your town and co-host a blunt debate about the way journalists cover Muslims at home and abroad. And well do it in a mosque with a free halal lunch.
What youll talk about
You dont have to cover the Mideast, terrorism, or politics to face practical and ethical issues about reporting on the worlds second-biggest religion...
- Is the term Islamic terrorist accurate or offensive?
- When should reporters mention the faith of a source?
- How does your local news media cover the Islamic community? How should they?
Journalists and Muslim leaders will teach each other how they approach these topics and maybe both groups will learn something new.
You dont even have to be a journalist to attend. You just need to be an interested and open-minded reader.
Why theres lunch
Frankly, its easier to break stereotypes of both Muslims and journalists when youre breaking bread. This is a give-and-take, back-and-forth meal. No question is stupid, and all answers are open-minded.
Muslimedia is more than just talking and eating. Youll also tour the mosque and observe afternoon prayers. And best of all, well buy the lunch and help with the boring logistics to make it all happen.
SPJ will offer money and other assistance throughout 2017. Fill out the form below for cash from SPJ. Also, SPJs Florida chapter which hosted the first Muslimedia in November will work with you on the three Ls...
- Location: Give us a list of mosques in your area, well help negotiate the space. The Center for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) has agreed to work with us wherever we go.
- Lunch: SPJ Florida will help you raise money and work with your local Muslim community to provide a free halal lunch for attendees.
- Limelight: Well provide logos and other design elements for your own marketing, or we can create personalized marketing material for you.
Apply right here:
We’ll get back to you within 48 hours.