This free site from the Society of Professional Journalists contains thousands of links helpful for reporters, editors, educators or anyone else doing research. Edited by former Los Angeles Times reporter and Arizona State University Professor of Practice Mike Reilley, the site is organized by beats and industry topics such as Public Records, Crime, Legal Issues, Science, Environment, Journalism Jobs, Sports and more. The Toolbox is updated twice weekly and several times a day during prominent global breaking news events.
SPJ and Journalism Education Association are looking to match journalists and K-12 teachers in a nationwide effort to bring more journalism education to schools. The project, #Press4Education, provides lesson plans, presentations and other resources to journalists who want to volunteer to share their knowledge. Get the details and get involved here.
– 3/08/19: SPJ Region 4 Conference: Cleveland
– 3/09/19: SPJ Region 3 Conference: Trauma & Stress while working in journalism
– 3/22/19: SPJ Region 8 Conference: Stephenville, Texas
– 3/29/19: SPJ Region 11 Conference: Las Vegas
– 3/29/19: SPJ Region 12 Conference: Nashville
Since 2016, SPJ has worked alongside the Google News Initiative to offer in-person Google tools training in newsrooms and classrooms around the country. Now, that effort has expanded to provide educators instructional materials, based on those tools, that they can download and incorporate immediately into their classrooms.
SPJ and the Facebook Journalism Project are committed to creating opportunities for journalists everywhere to learn about the ways Facebook tools can help create and share incredible works of journalism, as well as engaging the public in the stories about their communities.
– Elections Roadshow: Verification, fact checking and ethics with Frank Bi and J. Alex Tarquinio
– Elections Roadshow: Reporting on polling with Kyley McGeeney
– Elections Roadshow: Google tools for data journalism with Frank Bi
– Webinar: Google Trends and Elections